Alas, old age is somehow accompanied by the loss of teeth. Someone faces this problem a little earlier, someone a little later. However, when losing teeth, it is worth changing the diet. If your loved one has such a problem, then this article is for you. We take a look at tips for caring for old people without teeth so you can understand the complexity of this process and if necessary choose such a service as senior home care in Nassau.
What should be the diet of the old people?
To avoid chronic diseases that are often diagnosed in old people, to maintain the body and improve its condition, it is necessary to make certain adjustments to the diet. It is important to follow some simple rules for eating:
- Keep track of calories. The number of calories consumed should equal the energy expenditure.
- It is important to follow an anti-sclerotic diet. The diet of old people without teeth should include foods that have an anti-sclerotic effect.
- Try to keep the menu balanced and varied. The food consumed by an old person should be rich in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
- The diet should include only those products that are easily digested, and moderately activate the secretory, and motor function of the digestive tract.
- An old person must strictly follow the diet. It is necessary to adhere to the time schedule of meals and try to ensure that the daily food ration is properly distributed throughout the day.
- When compiling a diet for an old person without teeth, it is necessary to take into account the state of certain organs and systems, taking into account the specifics of metabolism and eating habits.
- People over the age of 60 should try to eat regularly, avoid long intervals between breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and eat in moderation. In this case, the products will be properly absorbed, and there will be no malfunctions in the work of the digestive tract.
- Remember that an old person should eat four meals a day. Breakfast and lunch should be the most high-calorie. It is recommended to make a light dinner, including low-fat sour-milk products, fresh vegetables, and fruits.
- On the advice of doctors, it is also necessary to do fasting days. In this case, it is necessary that the diet of old people without teeth includes only cottage cheese, kefir, and vegetable products. You can’t let an old person starve completely.
- The main health problems associated with old people include slow metabolism, poor appetite, side effects from taking medications, and overeating. To avoid such problems, you need to make changes to your usual diet.
Sources of proteins
The best protein is considered to be not meat, but the one found in seafood. Its absorption in the body is much faster, and the benefits from it are much greater. It is recommended to include seafood in the diet of old people without teeth every day, boil or steam them. Meat should be eaten no more than twice a week. Soups cooked on meat broth are best consumed only once a week. Three times a week it is allowed to include eggs in the diet. As for dairy products, their consumption is not limited, it is only important to give preference to those that contain a low percentage of fat.
Sources of fat
You can use only plant-based fats. The oil must be unrefined. Add it fresh to salads, and cereals, but you should not abuse it either. Animal fats are responsible for activating cholesterol metabolism, and the products that contain them also do not need to be included in a diet of an old person in large quantities. It will be enough fat, which is part of the eggs and dairy products. Butter must also be limited to one sandwich a day.
Sources of carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are an important part of the old people’s diet. It is important that they are not only complex but also slowly release energy. To avoid any malfunctions in the work of the gastrointestinal tract, it is necessary to include dietary fiber in the diet of old people without teeth. Thanks to the fibers, it will be possible to eliminate a number of unpleasant phenomena, including constipation, as well as stimulate the functioning of the digestive system. In addition, it is useful to eat wholemeal bread, cereals, vegetables, and fruits. It is very useful to eat raw vegetables, soups, casseroles, etc.
Sources of micro and macro elements, vitamins
With age, the process of assimilation of nutrients worsens. Of course, micro and macro elements are necessary at any age, but old people are especially in need of these components. Doctors recommend eating so that all the nutrients enter the body with food. However, people over the age of 60 need to take additional nutritional supplements that would help balance the number of vitamins and elements entering the body.
How to properly plan meals for old people without teeth
If the food is chewed poorly, stomach diseases may occur and the metabolism will slow down.
To prevent this, it is recommended:
- Eat only soft foods. For example, it can be bananas, pureed soups, smoothies, or a sandwich with butter and bread, which is made from wholemeal flour.
- Products that have a solid appearance, as well as large pieces, are recommended to be crushed with a blender. It is better to find recipes for cooking delicious dishes in advance.
- An old person should not eat a lot of useless drinking food. Everything in the diet should be balanced, and even if a person has no teeth, this is not a reason not to follow this rule. Thus, it is important that yogurt, jelly, or dried fruit compote do not become an alternative to traditional dishes. It is necessary to eat foods that contain sufficient amounts of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
Cooking the right food for an old person without teeth requires knowledge and a lot of time. You should make sure that your loved one eats enough protein, fats, and carbohydrates. If you’re not ready to go grocery shopping and cooking for your family member day in and day out, you can use the caregiver service provided by Galaxy Home Care. The company approaches the choice of employees responsibly, so you can be sure that your loved one will be safe with a caregiver.