InterVarsity Christian Fellowship may sound like a sports group, but it’s not. It’s basically a group on college campuses where people of different denominations and backgrounds come together for weekly Bible studies, sermons, praise and worship and fun times of Christian fellowship. “IV” is awesome. But it’s also Christian, which means colleges are getting nervous about it. You see, IV wants its leaders to be Christian and to subscribe to certain ideals that may exclude some people from holding leadership positions.
IV was recently “derecognized” by California State University schools. That means that at 23 Cali campuses, IV is no longer recognized as a campus organization. It doesn’t mean IV can’t meet on campus or “be Christian.” It just means the college powers-that-be aren’t going to give IV the benefits other groups get– you can read all about it here.
IV in New York and New Jersey often face similar problems, whereas the powers-that-be threaten to or actually do “derecognize” them. It’s a tough time to stand up for the name of Christ in the days where bad is good and good is bad.
Anyway, Nate Schutt, sends word that lots of GOOD things are happening thru IV chapters in our region…from an email, here’s his recent report:
Please join us today in praying for our bold witness and changed hearts in these areas:
At UB: Ellicott Dorm Complex is one of the largest individual complexes in the entire country, yet we are having trouble starting a single small group there this year (a problem we’ve had there for several years). Tonight some of us will be going around Ellicott handing out small welcome packages in the Freshmen dorms and inviting students to get involved with our witnessing community on campus. Please pray for bold witness and changed hearts, and for the Lord to lead us to the right people.
Elsewhere in the region:
- University of Rochester: Meeting with two students who are looking to host a small group in their dorm community. We’ll be doing some prayer walking and spying out the land; pray that we encounter the people God has for us.
- Fredonia: Faking It Proxe Station (round 2) to share the gospel while encouraging students to be real with themselves, others, and God. All Large Groups and Small groups for the first month will be focused around Faking it! Boldness in inviting people to say yes to Jesus and good traffic to make connections during the proxe station. Goal of 100 contacts between the three days and for some of the new students to help run the proxe.
- NYU AACF: Pray for club fest at NYU today where 300+ groups will be present. Pray for AACF students to invite boldly and to unashamedly invite peers to join God’s work on campus. We aim to meet 170+ students today.
- Binghamton: First Small Groups. Pray that lots of new students from NSO would come. Pray that all small groups would be grounded in the mission to invite others to know Jesus. Pray for the leaders.
- Manhattan School of Music and Juilliard – Small groups start this week. Pray that leader would create strong community and new students would prioritize small group throughout the semester.
- Cooper Union Proxy Station! Cooper students are opinionated, but curious. Pray that God will use this space to open up more conversations about Jesus, and that He will help us point students to the right small groups, GIGs, and social justice events where they can learn and experience more.
- Lehman: Pray for student leaders to meet 50 new students today at the club fair. Pray particularly that we’d meet influential student leaders who want to join the core team.